Monday, July 19, 2010

Chapter 21 & 22:

I enjoy the reading more that covers more recent history. It seems easier to identify with and understand the underlying facts.

The section that really grabbed my attention was the Great Depression. It showed important similarities with what is going on at the moment. The women are definitely the rising sex in the corporate world, unemployment is increasing, billions of dollars are being spent on the wars and debt seems to be rising uncontrollably with China. The economy is not looking particularly promising and reached ridiculous levels.

The Capitalist societies really unraveled around 1929. This type of economy provided the base for a wonderful 19th century but showed its teeth in the 20th century. The situation in the USA was unique. The country was largely unaffected by WWI but was still producing huge amounts of goods that quickly created a massive surplus. Germany and Austria were dependant on the USA for loans to repay their reparation payments. This was the recipe for the disaster that followed shortly.

Everyone should see the movie: Cinderella Man. I highly recommend seeing it. It really shows what life must have been like at that time in the USA.

2 comments:

  1. Cinderella Man is a great movie. It depicted the Great Depression very well. It showed how people during that time struggled not only to survive but also to maintain their dignity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the movie recommendation. I'll try to check that out. I really think that my dad and my 4 brothers would be very much interested as well because the life story revolves around boxing. Anyway, I just partially watched the movie, "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl," with my daughter. The story was set in Cincinnati in the Great Depression. My daughter had seen that movie before at her school, but it was my first time. Even in time of desperation, some people were able to keep their honesty and dignity while some went on cheating others.

    ReplyDelete